Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Turntable.fm spin

I found an article in the Boston Metro last Thursday about a new online community that draws approximately 80,000 daily users each week. Its called Turntable.fm. The article titled "Bringing something new to the turntable" says "Welcome to your newest social-networking and music addiction." That's not all. It also say's "If you get 1,000 people to click that they like the songs you play on Turntable.fm, then you can use an avatar that looks like Deadmau5." Interestingly, you must have a friend on Facebook who has logged onto Turntable.fm to try it. So this appear to be a tightly knitted online community. Personally, I do not know if any of my friends are on Turntable.fm, but I can ask. If I do, then I can "either enter a "room" or create one." (Source: Boston Metro June 30, 2011,p.14) I am not too much of an online music fan, but who knows what I might find.

2 comments:

  1. The fact that fb is the common denominator is most intriguing. However, I would be courious to know how Turntable.fm stacks up to the other online music communities not associated with fb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So in order to be a part of this social networking site, you must know someone on FB? I wonder if it's an extension of FB to compete with MySpace (which is now used for music sharing), or other sites. I'm just now learning about Facebook and don't listen to music online. But I bet something like this would be beneficial for musicians who are starting out.

    ReplyDelete